You are here

Young people and mental health


Child and adolescent mental health services in Wirral (CAMHS).

CAMHS are specialist NHS children and young people's mental health services.

If you think your child might need more help than friends, family, school and GPs can give, you might want to get in touch with CAMHS.

To find your local CAMHS service:

  • speak to your GP or school who can refer your child to CAMHS
  • search online for 'Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services' in your area - your local NHS trust website should have the details. Your child will still need to be referred by a professional.

If you are having trouble accessing CAMHS services for your child, and would like to discuss your concerns, please contact the Young Minds Parents' Helpline.

Young Minds Parents’ Helpline

The Young Minds charity aims to support every family needing support with mental health issues. It offers free and confidential support both online and by telephone to any adult worried about the emotional problems, behaviour or mental health of a child or young person up to the age of 25.

How to contact Young Minds:

  • call free from mobiles and landlines on 0808 802 5544
  • use the contact form and receive a response within three days

For general information on children’s mental health issues from a parent’s perspective, you can read Worried About Your Child? on the Young Minds website.

Find out more

The Mental Health Foundation website has lots of helpful information around:

  • keeping children and young people mentally well
  • dealing with change
  • risk factors
  • common mental health problems for children
  • help available

You can also visit the Time to Change website for tips on discussing mental health with children.