Talking to your child about how they’re feeling can be hard
You’re the leading expert when it comes to your child. You can tell when they aren’t in the mood to talk, or when they aren’t responding to your attempts
How do you start the conversation?
- How are you feeling?
- What do you want to talk about?
- What was the best and worst bit of your day?
- If you could start today again, what would you do differently?
- What did you do today that you are most proud of?
- What was the biggest problem you had today?
- Do you want to talk about what's going on?
- How can I support you through the issue?
- Is there anything that you need from me? Space, time to talk, time to do something fun...?
- I love you, nothing can ever change that
- You can talk to me, I'm here for you
- If you need to talk to someone else, that's okay too
- If you talk to me about what is worrying you, I can do my best to help
- Even if I don't understand, you know that I want to
- We're going to get through this together
- What's your favourite song at the moment? Would I like it?
- If you were any animal which one would you be?
- If your life was a movie which one would it be?
- What's your favourite thing about school and why?
- Do you want to watch movies tonight?
- Would you like to do something fun after school?