It’s time to get walking for National Walking Month this May!
Did you know that May is National Walking Month? And now the evenings are getting lighter for longer, this makes it the perfect time to go outside, and get walking. Walking has a lot of health benefits that you can use to motivate you and include into your daily lives.
Walking is the cheapest and one of the most effective forms of exercise. Helping improve your physical and mental wellbeing. Walking for just 20 minutes a day can also transform fitness levels, improve health and reduce stress and anxiety.
Many of us sit in school or work all day and then eat lunch before heading home for a night in front of the television or our mobile phones without us being aware we are risking our health.
This month you can make a difference to your health you could simply walk to school if you live within a mile, this will support our Walk To School Week Campaign.
Top ten tips to get walking
- Take the long cut home
- Walk to the local shops
- Walk back from school
- Prepare for the weather
- Go on a walk on your lunch break
- Walk to a friends house
- Walk along the beach
- Walk your dog
- Walk with friends to your local park
- Avoid taking the bus this could even save you a few pound!
What are the benefits of Walking?
- Walking is good for your heart - It reduces the risk of heart disease and strokes.
- Walking helps you to lose weight - If you walk 2mph for 30 minutes you will burn around 75 calories and if you increase this you will loose more calories.
- Walking gives you energy - It boosts your circulation and increases the oxygen supply around your body, which will keep you feeling more livly and awake.