Our Improvement Reference Group is where young people are asked what is important to them, and what changes they think Wirral Council should make to services that affect them.
Those who attend the group are invited to meet senior staff from Wirral Council and other local organisations that help to shape Children’s Services.
Who is there?
A mix of interested young people from Wirral schools are in the group, alongside young people from the Care Leavers’ and Children in Care Council.
Senior managers from the council’s Children’s Services department host the group. Staff from the Youth Service, Teenwirral, and the Participation and Engagement team also attend to provide support.
Can I attend?
If you’re aged 11 to 19 and are interested in making Wirral a better place for young people, then please do!
You’ll have the chance to represent your friends and pass on information about what’s important to you all, and you’ll be able to make a difference locally to the things that affect you.
What else will I get out of it?
- the chance to develop skills in debating, citizenship and politics
- the opportunity to be involved in major consultations to shape the Children’s Department’s new and existing services
- the chance to compete for awards and certificates in relevant work
- the opportunity to take part in interview panels for staff in the Children’s Department
- free pizza!
- competitions and prizes
- make new friends
When are the meetings?
Meetings are held every couple of months in Birkenhead, between 5pm and 7pm.
If you'd like to join the Improvement Reference Group, please contact Seline Wakerley by email or on 0151 666 3707.
Date of the next meeting:
- Wednesday 26th April, 5pm to 7pm, Pilgrim Street Arts Centre, Birkenhead
Agenda for the next few meetings
- looking at our action plan
- becoming a young inspector
- young people getting involved in staff training
- a questionnaire to find out what's important to young people
What we did at the last meeting - April 2017
- 5 minute training video for managers, made by young people
- Ofsted Monitoring Visit update
- training package for new social workers working with young people
- produced posters to recruit new members to the group
- Young Inspectors training - set for next month